Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I Love Utah


I was raised in Utah-the greatest snow on earth. I have been LDS all of my life. Most of family are members of the church. Perhaps, I was raised in a bubble with protective parents and there is a lot about life that I just don't understand.

So it makes me wonder: what it would have been like if I had not been raised a mormon.

Would I have been willing to:
All this to join a church? The list of sacrifices people make could go on.

I am forever grateful for the experiences I have had as a missionary to help me to gain a better appreciation for those who overcome hard things for the sake of joining the true church. I learn from their sacrifice. I pray for them and cry with them as they struggle.

People tell me all the time that "you just don't understand," and they are right. That is why I am on a mission. I know that I do not understand where people are coming from, but there is one who does understand- PERFECTLY, and He is the one of whom I invite all to come unto.
The message I want to share is that it is in the midst of these trials that we develop our personal faith in and relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Only He perfectly understands. He is the one who has overcome ALL things and knows how to help you to do the same.

I was reading in 1 Kings 17 of the story of Elijah the prophet. He was told to go to a widow for sustenance. When he met her, the widow was preparing for the last meal she and her son would have before they died of starvation. I love the way vs. 13 goes: "Fear not, go and do as thou hast said: but make me thereof a little cake first and bring it unto me, and after make for thee and for thy son." Imagine the faith of Elijah to ask such a thing of her. Imagine the faith of the widow to obey, and she did. The scripture tells us that because of her faith they did eat many days.

I testify as we put God first in our lives and go forward with faith, those seemingly large obstacles will diminish in size with the blessings recieved from accepting the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

  1. I truly am a beliver that through the difficulties that I am currently facing or will face that it will just strength my faith in God and in the church.In the time I have been researching the Church of Latter Day Saints I have gone experienced some issues but if I would of experienced them when I was not searching for a better relationship with God I probably would not of dealt with them as well as I have been. I know the reason it hasnt affected me negatively is because I know God has a purpose for it and I know with Him and living a life that obeys his teachings I can be made stronger through it. And thank you for the scripture and meeting with me. It has been very helpful in reaffirming my decision to convert.-Leslie M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and insightful message. Those of us raised in the bubble don't often think of all the things others must give up or change to become a follower of Christ in His true church. You are doing a wonderful job as a missionary. Love you, Ant Cassie
    PS I found this link on Joni's blog/facebook

    ReplyDelete