Saturday, February 12, 2011

Deep Thoughts of a Missionary with a Minor Concussion

My name is Sister Nielsen and I have a concussion.
So there I was, Hopkinsville, Kentucky, laying in the middle of an icy parking lot. Yep, I'm totally graceful!  
Here are some of my deep thoughts since the incident.

Why am I really here?

Why are we here? I don't mean, Why are we here in Hopkinsville?, or What are we doing here in this parking lot? What I want to know is, What is the purpose of life? Life is full of hard experiences that cause us to pose these questions. Where can we turn for answers? The scriptures are a great source of information and truth. In John 15:11 Jesus Christ teaches us that we are to have joy, the same is taught in 2 Nephi 2:25 - men are that they might have joy. What brings us true joy?

True joy comes from how we spend our time. Often we get caught up in our day to day. We get "too busy"; going to work, the gym, the grocery store, school, and dealing with kids. Sometimes we feel like all we can do is survive. But when we take a step back, we realize there is something more. True and lasting happiness comes from our Savior Jesus Christ and following Him.

I know that through faith in Jesus Christ, we can stay focused on what is truly important. He gives us the courage to change our lives for the better, and as we do our best, there is a strength beyond our own that helps us retain this true happiness.

There is so much more to God's plan for us. To learn more about this Plan of Happiness visit http://mormon.org/plan-of-happiness/#e.
Turns out, there is more to learn than to just walk carefully on ice.

3 comments:

  1. Just wanted to say hi to Sister Nielsen from Donna Jaco (Layton, UT), Kaley's mom. This is great and I hope to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How great that you can find the positive in such a rough experience. Hope you get feeling better soon.

    ReplyDelete